With more than 500 million users worldwide, LinkedIn is easily the largest professional network in the world. Whether you are looking for a job right now or not, having a profile that stands out is important. This wonderful tool keeps you connected with other professionals in all different industries and levels. So why should that matter to you? LinkedIn is your chance to get your name and face in front of hundreds of thousands of individuals in your industry across the world. It offers you a way to showcase your professional activity, including job history, professional recommendations, endorsements, work examples like published writing. With todays job market, it is simply not enough to have a LinkedIn profile, you need to have a GREAT profile. Here are a few simple tips to ensure you stand out.
Tip #1: Know what the LinkedIn platform is used for
Today, there are countless social media platforms used for making connections. LinkedIn is the largest professional connection platform in the world. It allows professional individuals to connect and share their current experiences, content and opportunities with other professionals. It is important to remember that LinkedIn, unlike other social media platforms, is strictly used for a professional/work environment.
Tip #2: Build a compelling online profile
The simplest thing you can do to enhance your LinkedIn profile is to create attention grabbing content. While it is a digital version of the classic paper resume, it can be so much more. Focus on your personal brand and what you are looking to achieve through this platform.
- Be sure to have a professional, high-quality headshot that captures who you are and what you do. You are seven times more likely to be found in a search if you have a profile picture.
- Have an eye-catching headline. Think of your headline like the headline of a newspaper, this should grab your reader’s attention, use colorful words, and should display why potential employers should choose you instead of someone else.
- Create a profile summary that is detailed including education, experience, skills, and any certifications you may have. Utilize key words for your industry throughout to increase your likelihood of being found within a search. Stay away from the typical overused words such as motivated, hardworking, etc.
- If possible, make sure to include at least three jobs you have had and detail any accomplishments you achieved while at those jobs. Ask colleagues and mentors for recommendations to showcase diverse skillsets.
- Make sure you are linking your experiences, education, and jobs to the populated list that LinkedIn provides you so it will link you to that specific employer or education page. This will also help in connecting you with others who have attended the same University or worked for the same company
Tip #3: Use a personal URL
This is something most LinkedIn users do not know but by doing it, you can set yourself apart from others by one easy step. Using a personal URL will allow employers to easily access your LinkedIn profile without having to type in a lot of extra content. To create your personal URL, go to your profile and click “edit public profile & URL”, this will give you the ability to edit your LinkedIn URL. You can type in exactly what you want your URL to be. The most professional and easiest thing is to just use your first and last name so that your profile is that much easier to find. This is a unique way to set yourself apart from others within your industry on LinkedIn.
Tip#4: Set your networking goals
When creating or updating your LinkedIn profile, it is important to set specific goals of what you want/need from the people in your network. For example, job seekers have different goals than those seeking to expand their network and knowledge in a specific industry. Also, connections are only as strong as how you use them. Cultivate the relationships by getting to know your contacts, ask for help, offer help, etc.
It’s just as important to focus on what you need from your network during the different seasons of your professional life and utilizing the tools you have to accomplish it.
Tip#5: Engage regularly
Publish articles, share content, comment, etc. Being an active member, especially in your areas of interest, can establish you as a thought leader. Spread knowledge and positivity and it will come back two-fold.
LinkedIn is such a powerful tool that is very easy to use. Make the most of it by optimizing your profile to grab attention, sell your skills, and validate your accomplishments. You want your page to stand out by being visually appealing to visitors while making it easy for them to get a feel for who you are. These 5 tips are a great start to helping you build a winning LinkedIn profile.
CONDUCT REGULAR LINKEDIN PROFILE AUDITS